Saturday, April 22, 2017

It's apt to confuse me

Something went right today. The way things have been going lately, I found this confusing.

Getting online with my ancient little MacBook Pro has been hit or miss. After 3 (count 'em THREE) hours on the phone with Comcast -- a painful experience -- and another 30 minutes with Apple, the problem is diagnosed as not my modem, not my ethernet chord, but the ethernet port. The Apple troubleshooter warned me that this could require replacing the motherboard. Expensive. Very expensive. So I'd have to decide whether to invest more than $500 (probably closer to $800) on this old Mac or spend $2,000 on a new one.

The shop up the street is an authorized Apple seller/service provider. I took it in there to try to get definitive answers and hard numbers so I could mull my online future.

I left with a $30 USB ethernet adapter and my little laptop will live to surf another day.

What I found especially heartening is that the repair tech knew I was open to buying a new Mac. Not thrilled by the idea, obviously, but open to it. He didn't even try to steer me that way. He seemed pleased to have found an efficient and economic fix.

On the way home, this wonderful song kept running through my head. Written by Paul Simon, performed by Babs.

"I swear I can't get used to something so right."



2 comments:

  1. Awesome...I hope that you are able to give this gentleman repeated business and referrals. It is refreshing to see someone acting the way he did. :-)
    Today, I was thankful for realizing the depth of kindness that a friend possesses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard that version of Something So Right--I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.