Friday, January 13, 2017

OneWord: FOCUS on my self restraint





FOCUS
verb
to concentrate: to focus one's thoughts


My goal in 2017 is to be able to point to concrete achievements, accomplished because I continued to FOCUS. Tonight I sharpened my focus on my budget and went straight home after work.

There's a nice little restaurant right off my el stop. They may call themselves a deli, but they have the best chicken. Specifically breaded chicken strips and a honey-friend chicken dinner to die for.  I wanted some. More than that, I felt I deserved it.

You see, the weather here has been gloomy and icky. I don't mind cold, but it's been worse than cold. It's been chilly and raining, raining, raining. On Tuesday night it rained so hard that my feet were soaked -- not from stepping into puddles but from the torrents making their way into my boots through the laces. I'd rather have subzero and snow than this.* Once you get chilled in the weather we've been having, you stay chilled.

I haven't gone out for lunch for the last two days because it's been too forbidding. I haven't liked what I've had to eat because I've been limited to the offerings of our cafeteria. So when I saw Erik's neon sign, I was sorely tempted.

But just then I had $18 in left in my budget for the week. More than enough for lunch tomorrow, but not enough for Thursday dinner AND Friday lunch. I could have charged it, or borrowed from my weekend spending money, or kept walking.

I reminded myself that I have food in my refrigerator and kept walking.

I can stay on budget. I just have to FOCUS.



*I shouldn't complain about rain like this, though, because I know how important it is to the environment, especially Lake Michigan.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I can relate to this! Good going, Gal!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.