Saturday, July 30, 2016
Saturday 9: Jamming (1977)
1) In Jamaica, "jamming" means to celebrate. What's going on in your life today that's worth celebrating? I don't have anything that must be done today! That makes me happy.
2) The group that became famous as "The Wailers" originally called themselves "The Teenagers." What was trendy when you were a teenager (clothes, music, etc.)? Going back to the year I turned 13, I'll say FRINGE! Both girls and boys wore fringe vests and I had a shoulder bag that was dripping in fringe.
3) Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley were very close. In addition to being bandmates, they were friends in elementary school and later became family (Bunny's dad and Bob's mom had a daughter together). Who has known you the longest? My longest friendship dates back to Kindergarten. We're still going strong. In fact, she's flying in from California in twelve days.
4) Does the person you named in #3, the one who's known you longest, know you best? I don't know if she knows me best, but she is the one I'm most comfortable with.
5) Bandmate Peter Tosh became an avid unicycle rider. What's your favorite form of exercise? Stationary bike.
6) Bob Marley was known for his signature dreadlocks. When were you last in a stylist’s chair? One week ago today.
7) Marley's charisma is credited for popularizing reggae music the world over. Are you a fan? Not really.
8) Mr. Marley is one of the highest-earning dead celebrities, and manufacturers pay his estate to use his likeness to sell their merchandise. What dead celebrity have you seen recently on a t-shirt, mug, poster, etc.? Marilyn is ubiquitous, isn't she? I find it ironic that the little girl lost who couldn't get enough love during her life has been discovered and loved by every succeeding generation, now that she's gone and can't enjoy it.
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read? Once, years ago. I don't remember a thing about it, except I felt it was a waste of $10.