Sunday, February 14, 2016

Now this is more like it

I saw my favorite Oscar movie this afternoon. Brooklyn.

I loved it.

Character driven and affectionate, it had me from the first frames and never let me go. A girl lives in a tiny Irish village that holds no opportunity for her. With her mother's and especially her older sister's support, she heads to America to find her fortune.

She is overwhelmed, of course. But she's a good girl, in every sense of the word, and she gets a lot of support from the other immigrants, the other Catholics, the other young women she encounters along the way.

She faces a moral dilemma during the second half of the movie that broke my heart. I so wanted Ellis to do the right thing! Yet I completely understood her conflict.

What was at stake for Ellis wasn't as big and dramatic as the conflicts portrayed in Carol or The Big Short. Yet in the hands of this director and this cast. Ellis' conflict was far, far more engaging.

See this adorable little gem, any way you can.




1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this. I don't think I would enjoy the book, though.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.