Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Ewing Shop



This little (200 sq. ft.) slice of heaven is where I stayed in Colonial Williamsburg. 220 years ago, the building on this spot was a dry goods store run by a Scottish immigrant named Ebeneezer Ewing. Today it has a gorgeous four-poster bed with curtains, a working fireplace, and just enough modern touches (plumbing, TV) to make it comfortable but not enough to ruin the vibe. I even had my own little backyard!

One of the coolest things about staying right there in one of the historic houses on the grounds is that it was convenient. After touring one of the exhibits, I could just run home and use my own bathroom instead of the public restrooms. The little sign on the front door discouraged any tourists who thought my humble abode was an attraction.

I loved every moment I spent here.

(Sick of my trip yet?)

2 comments:

  1. i could live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cozy cottage. I think I would want to stay in one of the historic houses. I've spent a lot of time browsing the website you linked the other day.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.