Friday, August 06, 2010

Frankly, my dear ...

We no longer give a damn.

Tonight kicked off our community's book fair, a 3-day event to benefit the public library. Every year there's a book that you'll see time and time and time again. The book that many locals enthusiastically bought and then decided (almost in unison) that they were done with it and would never read it again. I always make a mental note of the title that wins each year's dubious honor.

In 2006, it was The Corrections.
In 2007, The Nanny Diaries.
In 2008, The Da Vinci Code.
In 2009, My Life by Bill Clinton.
This year, Scarlett, the Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone with The Wind.

This surprised me, since it was originally published in 1992. It was reissued in 2007. Maybe it's that more recently issued edition that's decorating the tables at the book fair.

Now let me make a note of all I picked up, for the princely sum of $5.00:

For me --
Killer Smile by Lisa Scottoline
Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
Size 14 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot
The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith

For the troops --
Ocean's 11, a novelization of the movie
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
When the Wind Blows by James Patterson

I'm pleased by how gently used these last three are, and I like thinking of the escape they will provide three of our soldiers.

2 comments:

  1. What did you get???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amending my post just as you commented. What timing we have, Kwiz!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.