Sunday, September 20, 2009

Don't do it! PLEASE don't do it!

The Saddest Boy in the World and I are doing laundry at the same time this evening. I try every hard to avoid him because I know he has a crush on me and I'm sooooooo not interested, yet I have loads of compassion for him. He's in his 40s, lives on the first floor with his elderly/ill/unpleasant mother, and works at the local grocery store.

This evening, as I was moving my clothes to the dryers from the washers he was waiting to use, he asked me what I did for a living. I told him I was a writer. Thirty mins. later, when we were both down there again, he brought a 20-year old compilation from a local poetry contest. He was a runner up and he read his poem to me. It was a sweet, touching and profoundly embarrassing moment.

Please don't ask me out, Saddest Boy in the World.

3 comments:

  1. AWWW ... that made my heart ache for you AND for him. I trust that if he does ask you out, you will handle it with compassion and caring.

    (This is why I'm glad to have my own washer/dryer. Should I send you a set?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave of him to share his poem. How awkward of you to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An uncomfortable situation. You are handling it the best you can. It must have been excruciatingly awkward for you. I echo the others. I'm sure you will find a way to treat him with the respect he deserves and stay within your own boundaries.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.