Friday, April 10, 2009

A 35¢ Act of Kindness

Today at lunch I stopped at McDonald's on my way back to the office. As I waited for my order (I substituted fries with a healthier yogurt parfait) I observed the man at the next register trying to place his. I don't know that he was homeless, but his clothes were unmistakably not Downey fresh. I don't know that he was deaf, but he certainly was mute. He handed the cashier a list and kept gesturing "three." Then he laid two singles and four quarters on the counter. Unfortunately the tab was $3.35.

I lingered a moment because I wanted to make up the 35¢ if it was necessary. It wasn't. The cashier filled the order, even though his customer was 35¢ short. This was done with a minimum of fanfare. The manager wasn't called over. I'm not even sure the customer realized what kindness he'd been shown.

It made me very happy.

6 comments:

  1. Now that's a wonderful example of an unspoken act of kindness. Heartwarming. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cashier did the right thing. Nice to know that kind of niceness exists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear those kinds of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story gives us hope in human kindness....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't it nice, to see someone else BE nice?! Great little encounter there, thanks for sharin' it.

    (Hope you're having a great weekend, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.