Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #91 -- Meet the original girl super-sleuth


THIRTEEN THINGS
ABOUT
NANCY DREW


Before Kinsey Milhone, before Kay Scarpetta, I followed the adventures of the original girl super-sleuth, Nancy Drew. So did just about every girl I grew up with. We weren’t alone: Since 1930, girls between the ages of 9 and 12 have been introduced to the mystery genre through these 175 titles.

Nancy Drew has conquered Hollywood, too, starring in 5 movies – four in the late 1930s with Bonita Granville; one in 2007 starring Emma Roberts. There have been two Nancy Drew TV series. In the first, which premiered in the 1970s, she was played by Pamela Sue Martin (who was replaced by Janet Louise Johnson). The second series ran in 1995 and starred Tracy Ryan.

In the 1990s, Nancy’s adventures as a third-grade sleuth solving mysteries with her young friends (“the Clue Crew”) were chronicled for a younger audience in a series known as The Nancy Drew Notebooks. Also, today’s kids can help Nancy solve mysteries interactively with her computer games.

She has her own website and a line of collectibles . With all this merchandising, I’m surprised the girl still has time to sleuth!

Here are thirteen facts about the girl who has played a role in countless young lives: Miss Nancy Drew.

1) Nancy has always had blue eyes, though her hair color has changed from reddish blonde to just blonde over the years.

2) Except for her incarnation in The Nancy Drew Notebooks, Nancy is done with high school but still a teenager. (I think of her as forever 18.)

3) She lives with her widowed father, famous attorney Carson Drew, in River Heights.

4) Her late mother, who descended from Scottish aristocrats, died when Nancy was either 3 or 10 (depends on which book you reference).

5) Nancy and Carson are tended to by their housekeeper, Hannah, who cooks and cleans and keeps the 3-story brick house running smoothly.

6) Nancy has always loved her blue car. In one book she drove a maroon car, but by the next volume she was back to blue. Over the years it’s evolved from a blue “roadster” to a blue Mustang.

7) Her two best friends are a pair of cousins named Bess and George. Bess is Elizabeth Marvin and George is Georgia Fayne. Bess is pretty and plump, and George is a big, clumsy tomboy.

8) Nancy is without a doubt the leader of this trio, unafraid to do whatever it takes – climb a fence, pick a lock, rifle through drawers – in search of a clue. Bess and George are helpful, but generally just along for the ride.

9) In addition to being fearless, Nancy is always fashionable, and capable of solving crimes in high heels and pearls. She is fond of hats and has a gift for coordinating them with her handbags.

10) Nancy doesn’t just solve crimes. Even though she doesn’t seem interested in college, she enjoys artistic pursuits like music and dancing. She is a fine cook, but loves sports – golf, sailing, swimming, tennis, and horseback riding.

11) Naturally this spirited and accomplished girl is irresistible to boys. But her heart belongs to Ned Nickerson, a sophomore at nearby Emerson College. He is 6’2, with wavy hair. He, too, is excellent at sports and has spent a summer or two as a camp counselor.

12) Ned would like Nancy to settle down and become his wife, but she’s just not ready. In the meantime, he’s welcome to help her solve mysteries.

13) Her latest adventure was Werewolf in a Winter Wonderland (2003). Here’s the plot summary, courtesy of Amazon.com: “Things are hairy in River Heights this holiday season. Two wolves have disappeared from WildWolf, the federal wolf preserve just outside of town. Local farmers think the missing wolves are killing their sheep, but there are also rumors of werewolf sightings nearby. At the same time, the annual River Heights Winter Carnival is set to begin. When the first two days of the outdoor festival are full of tragic disasters, Nancy can't help but wonder -- is there a link between the carnival's trouble and the missing wolves? After the carnival's beautiful ice palace is destroyed, Nancy's sure there's a wolf at River Heights's door. But is the leader of this pack of crimes human, or beast?”

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:11 PM

    I remember in the newer series Nancy also had her pilot's license.

    www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:15 PM

    My daughter used to read these books when she was young and at home.

    My 13 is all Halloween Humor...won't you stop by for a laugh or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the entire series when I was a child...but I don't remember as much as you do! Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:45 PM

    I loved nancy drew. As a child, I had every book, in hardback! I wish my mom hadn't sold them in a yard sale years ago, because my daughter now loves to read her mysteries.

    Happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I loved Nancy Drew. I was addicted to the books when I was a kid. Thanks for reminding me of these great memories. I'll have to introduce Nancy to my daughter when she is old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting facts about Nancy, I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Nacy Drew. Used to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:13 PM

    I never read any of them but I have heard of her. She doesn't have such a wide currency in England but I did buy my 8 year old daughter a ND book I found at a sale and she couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really did your homework on this T13... I'm impressed. Just the other night, I was watching some of the Nancy Drew films starring Bonita Granville. One of my favorite scenes is from "Nancy Drew... Reporter" where she, Ted Nickerson, Ted's sister Mary, and Killer Parkins are at a Chinese restaurant and have to sing for their supper because they didn't have enough money.

    By the way, I didn't do a T13 this week. However, I do have a new poll up and a post about the controversy surrounding Kevin Smith's new movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was obsessesed with Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys when I was young. Thanks for taking me back! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm surprised my daughter the bookworm never read this series. I know it kept many girls company in their teen years.
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:32 PM

    I didn't realise they were still publishing Nancy Drew books! Now I've got to go out and get myself one of the new ones to see if they're any good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some strange reason, I've never read a Nancy Drew book...even when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:13 PM

    I loved Nancy Drew!!!

    Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! Boy you remember so much, or did you Google?
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful stroll down memory lane. I remember Nancy Drew from my pre-teen years. I never saw any of the movies or TV shows, but I loved reading her books.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool. Who doesn't like Nancy Drew? Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:32 AM

    oh i love reading those books of Nancy Drew.miss my childhood days.Happy TT. mine is up :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read every one multiple times but the latest movie i did not loves

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:31 AM

    There were actually THREE TV Nancy Drews. Disney tried updating the series on their Sunday movies in 2002, and starred Maggie Lawson. They were hoping it would catch on and they would make several nancy Drew movies, but alas, ratings were not all that high and she never saw the light of day again on The Wonderful World of Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved Nancy Drew as a child...what a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read a Nancy Drew book and ages. It was fun to reminisce. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I, too, loved Nancy Drew. Have a terrific Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel like I missed so much. I wasn't encouraged to read as a child, but I love to read now. I like the Kay Scarpetta novels.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys, I read them both. My favorite was the Trixie Belden mysteries. Loved those even more than Nancy.

    Thanks for the nostalgic moment!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved Nancy Drew as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2:44 PM

    I don't know how many of the Nancy Drew books I've read. I don't think it's too late to start a collection. Hehe. I introduced her to my niece a couple of years back, i'm not sure if she kept on reading though.

    Thank you for this list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous3:04 PM

    I love Nancy Drew. Thanks for this trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  29. As a heads up, TCM is airing two Nancy Drew movies on Saturday morning starting at 8 am EST ("Nancy Drew, Detective" and "Nancy Drew, Reporter").

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.