Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No sister of mine

I admit that I, too, am fascinated by Sarah Palin. I'm fascinated by Paris Hilton, too, in that both women have become phenomena and yet have lives that bear no resemblance to the one I live.

Now I know that comparison isn't fair to Gov. Palin, since she has accomplished much in the career she has built, and Paris Hilton is, well, Paris Hilton. But the premise still works in that I find both women completely unrelatable.

Gov. Palin believes that I should be taxed less so I can hang on to more of my own money, since I know better how to spend it than the US Government does.

Gov. Palin opposes gun control because she believes that, as an adult American, I have a right to carry and use a weapon.

Yet Gov. Palin doesn't feel women should be left alone to make reproductive decisions about our own bodies (even in the instance of rape and incest).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand her reasoning and resent her conclusion. As a woman of faith, I resent the way she believes her relationship with her Lord is somehow so superior to mine that is should be legislated.

I sincerely hope that she is never in a position to appoint Supreme Court justices. I also sincerely hope that the press attention on her abates, now that Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch have turned the focus back to the economy.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:22 PM

    On the subject of Paris, one of my spies just sent me this:

    givemeamillionparishilton.com

    Pass it on! And keep up the good work on the blog. And Dusty is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand her reasoning and conclusions. The difference, in my view, is that reproductive decisions are made before pregnancy and at the point of pregnancy, a woman is then making a decision to eliminate life. And I don't believe a woman has the right to do that.

    With all the scientific and technological advances, doctors can now operate on unborn babies, they know that everything we need for life (dna) is present at conception. I don't believe it is my faith that I want legislated, but simply the right of every child to have life.

    I enjoy reading your blog because we are so different and I am interested in how others view the world. I just wanted to share my viewpoint here as well, not meaning to cause a debate or make anyone angry. Hopefully it came across in the graceful manner intended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, your opinion was gracefully shared and I respect it. It's just that I take very seriously the separation between Church and State and arguments about when life begins usually end up revolving around souls -- and that brings us into the realm of legislating religion. Also, as a rape survivor, I am grateful I wasn't impregnated but, for reasons to complex to get into here, I did not report the assault. Rape is one of the most underreported crimes there is. Sara Palin's stand would recriminalize a rape/incest victim for aborting an unwanted child conceived in violence, whether the crime was reported or not.

    I PERSONALLY do not believe in abortion. Had I become pregnant as a result of that assault, I very likely would have had that baby. (Ironically, as a result of what happened, I was instead left most likely unable to have a baby.) But I understand, and my heart goes out to, other women with stories to tell who made different choices. Women should at least be as qualified to decide what do with our own bodies as we are what to do with a loaded gun.

    That's why I am not so much pro-abortion as I am pro-choice.

    But you are always welcome here. And I'm grateful that you took the time to construct such a thoughtful answer, with everything else you have going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your response. We come from different perspectives and I don't want to get into a debate, but I appreciate your thoughts and that you allowed me to share mine.

    My heart breaks for you and what you were forced to experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.