Friday, August 22, 2008

DAY 22 -- August 08 Happiness Challenge

The Fugitive. This classic TV show and I have a special history. When I was a little girl, my headboard was on one side of the wall and the family TV was on the other. The Fugitive was my parents' favorite show, and every week I heard the distinctive theme song and the narrator's deep voice explaining the plight of Dr. Richard Kimble, convicted of a murder he didn't commit, and freed when, en route to death row, the train he was being transported in derailed. I remember how excited my mom was when the show's finale aired and at last Dr. Kimble was exonerated. Consequently I grew up curious about the show.

A local TV station began airing the reruns and I got hooked. The thing of it, it comes on at 11:00 on Sunday nights -- not exactly convenient for my schedule. So I ordered Season 1 and part of Season 2 from Amazon. (So far this is all that's available on DVD.)

So now, like my mom more than 40 years before, I can indulge myself in the lonely adventures of Dr. Richard Kimble and his dual quests -- to find the one-armed man he saw fleeing his house the night his wife was murdered, and to stay one step ahead of the intrepid Lt. Gerard, who may be lurking around any corner. The plots are very sophisticated for the 1960s (even today), and David Janssen makes a wonderful romantic hero. It's fun to see TV stars in guest appearances. So far I've picked out Carroll O'Connor as a cruel sheriff, Bruce Dern as a delinquent teen, Diane Ladd as a waitress in a coffee shop, Robert Duval as an immigrant shipbuilder (with a thick but hard to identify accent), Jack Klugman as a construction foreman …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.