Wednesday, August 06, 2008

DAY 06 -- August Happiness Challenge

That I can. This morning, when I was moving into my new wallet, I realized how much nickels annoy me. They don't belong in my penny piggy bank, I can't use them for the coin-operated laundry machines downstairs, they are often rejected by the vending machines at work … You see my point. So I moved the offensive coins from my wallet to my jeans pocket and dropped them into the cup of the homeless man I always see next to the newspaper vending machines. "Blessings to you, young lady!" he smiled. I made him happy. With just 30¢ or so, I made another human being happy.

Today at lunchtime I'm going to swing by CVS and pick up some crayons or maybe a glue stick to accompany the packet of #2 pencils and the ruler I have here for the school supplies drive my office building is having this week. I enjoy thinking of the backpack they are going into as some enthusiastic kid starts a NEW school year with NEW supplies.

There are many reasons to give. As Bruce Springsteen says, "Nobody wins unless everybody wins." There's the old Golden Rule. Karma and/or Christian faith. But there's also the sheer joy you can get, thinking about the impact your little act of kindness can have on another person. It's the cheapest high you can get.

Also, it reminds me to be grateful that I can give.

2 comments:

  1. Well, good for you. At our house we call it *paying forward* Whatever you call it, it is always good to help others and the small acts of kindness will all be repaid in a big way when you need it most and expect it least. Thanks for reminding me and other of that. :)
    I read you TT and then nosed around a little you have an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 PM

    The other day I went into Borders to buy my dad "The Last Lecture" and they were holding a children's book drive. I donated "The Monster at the End of this Book" as it was one of my favorites when I was little.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.