Friday, April 25, 2008

The happiest 30¢ I could ever spend

On my way back from the gym and McDonald's to my office, I always see the MERRIEST homeless guy. Always in the same spot, beside a row of newspaper vending machines. Our relationship started by him calling out to me, asking if I'll share my lunch with him. I said "no," he laughed and said "God bless you!" and wished me a nice day anyway. This went on for quite a while.

He's so dependable and pleasant that lately I've begun saving the coins I get as change from my lunch to drop in his cup. "Hi, Darlin'!" he calls. It's never more than 30¢, but it seems to make him so HAPPY! I say, "You know our deal, don't you?" And he says, "Yes. You keep the sandwich and I keep the change." And he asks God to bless me and wishes me a nice day.

I wonder how he got here, and why the circumstances that left him homeless haven't made him sullen or angry. I think if, one day, he wasn't out there, I would miss him.

3 comments:

  1. 30 cents is better than nothing at all, though you are much better than me

    ReplyDelete
  2. that money everyday adds up. plus I'm sure that it brightens his day to see the same face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's sweet to be always nice.. :)

    I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.