Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yes, he is that good

Saw The Dark Knight on Saturday and it was better than I expected. Easier to follow, and with a better story than any of the previous Batman movies I've seen (Keaton, Clooney, Kilmer, and the previous Bale included).

Now let's talk Ledger. His appeal always escaped me. To be completely honest, I thought he mumbled through one of the sudsiest, silliest, most over-hyped and unintentionally funny movies of all time, Brokeback Mountain. With this in mind, I had quite the "show me" attttude toward his much-heralded final role as The Joker.

Incredible. Awesome. Original. Engaging. Deeply, darkly charismatic, the movie comes alive only when he's onscreen. Which is ironic and ultimately very, very sad.

P.S. Not for kids! I don't care how many cereal boxes the Caped Crusader currently graces. This movie is too violent and too intense for children.

3 comments:

  1. Heath Ledger was almost always too intense for children

    ReplyDelete
  2. While Monster's Ball and Brokeback Mountain were certainly inappropriate for wee ones, I found Heath Ledger about as intense as Barney the Dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batman only got turned into campy crap in the 50's courtesy of government decency trolls. I am thrilled they went back to the original look and feel. As for Heath loved him from day one. Brokeback was fine but I liked him best in Lords of Dogtown and Casanova and 10 Things I Hate About You.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.