Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Heads & Tails #17

Today's theme is "line." As someone who doesn't drive -- and with gas at about $4.25/gallon, I'm glad I don't -- the word "line" conjures up public transportation. Fortunately the Chicagoland area has a pretty extensive, highly affordable system that exists under the RTA (Regional Transit Authority). Here are the "lines" I couldn't do without:

CTA El -- I take the Green Line elevated train to and from work each day. 45 minutes door to door, and $1.75 per trip. Those who prefer battling rush hour traffic and paying for city parking are welcome to it. I'll just sit here and read the paper en route to work.

Metra Railroad -- If I'm working late, or having dinner or partying downtown, I take the Union Pacific West Line home. A little more expensive than the El, it's also a little safer after dark.

Pace Suburban Bus System -- I refer to this as "my other car," my weekend wheels. I ride the 307 Line to the mall and 304 Line when I go home to visit my mom.

If you can, give both your wallet and the environment a break and consider taking a bus or train ride at least once a week. It just might help us reduce our national dependence on fossil fuel.

For more information on Heads or Tails, or to play along yourself, visit the HoT site.

5 comments:

  1. Yes... I also thought of this subject for the week's prompt! Excellent choice.

    Mine's shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice. Unfortunately we don't have public transportation where I live. I do need to make more of an effort to ride my bike around town, because I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. public transport is very common here in India..but when I moved to phx area..found it really hard without any major public transport..even the public bus service was very poor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Public transportation is probably the best way to travel now with gas prices being so high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent take on this week’s prompt. I wish we had decent rapid transit (public transportation) in my area. Fortunately I don’t have to go many places these days. My HoTs is at Small Reflections this week. Hope you’ll find time to visit.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.