Wednesday, May 07, 2008

White Women? Check.

Blue-collar white males? Check. Populists (as opposed to "elitists")? Check.

I don't think Barack Obama will have too much trouble bringing those groups back into the fold with John and Elizabeth Edwards by his side. After all (except for women over 50), those groups made up John Edwards' natural constituency. I was surprised that Hillary was able to woo them after Edwards dropped out, but she did … successfully, too.

Still, I don't think the rift between Clinton-Obama supporters is so deep, so irreconcilable that Barack can't convince voters that he is more in tune to them and their needs than John McCain. Naturally having a good ol' boy with a moonlight-and-magnolias accent and his courageous, angel of a wife at Obama's side will help.

The Edwards' haven't committed yet, but they will once Obama becomes the undisputed nominee. And I hope there's a Cabinet position in the offing for this man. John Edwards could be a terrific activist attorney general in the Bobby Kennedy mold.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the dems are able to reconcile, this is soo important...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.