Thursday, May 08, 2008

Remember "The Boxer?"

It's an old Paul Simon song. "I have squandered my resistance, for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises. All lies and jest. Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Those lines make me think of the Clinton campaign. Everyone is telling her she can't win. Today's Tribune says she has to win 67% of the remaining delegates, which is nearly impossible. Especially because her campaign has no money coming in, except her's.

Yet she keeps going. It's as though she believed the hype of a year ago -- that she is inevitable, that now is her turn, that somehow she deserves the nomination. Perhaps because of all she endured and sacrificed to help her husband win the Presidency -- beginning when she chose him and Arkansas after she graduated from law school. Now that those promises have turned out to be nothing but lies and jest, she hears what she wants to hear and disregards the rest.

2 comments:

  1. Good Assessment! I totally agree with you on this one...guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:07 AM

    The Boxer is one of my favorite songs, and the assessment is excellent.

    That being said, I admire the woman tremendously. I think the next woman running for president will owe her a teriffic debt.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.