Wednesday, February 06, 2008

In praise of mothers and sons

Jenny McB and her almost-grown son have discussed the signficance of this Presidential election.

Bookmama has explained to her little boy how important it is that for the first time a woman and a man of color have a real chance of being President.

A friend of mine recounted that her son, a high school senior, spent the car ride to Target trying to explain why his friends were really pulling for Ron Paul. She said it was the longest they had spent on one topic in quite some time and she really enjoyed it.

I love these stories! Mothers imparting their social awareness and involvement to their sons, exchanging ideas with them. This is so great.

I wonder, though, how come I haven't heard any similar mother/daughter stories … Anyone have one to share?

5 comments:

  1. I'll just say that if LS was older than 27 months, I would be having the same discussions with her that I've had with BB (probably at the same time, even).

    ReplyDelete
  2. After my earlier comment, BB and I were talking about this again. I pointed out that there has never been a female or black president. He was surprised. (Apparently he hadn't retained that from earlier talks, LOL.)

    Then I clarified that this will be the first time that people could even VOTE for a female or black president. He was incredulous.

    He asked if Barack Obama was black. I said yes. He responded with "Then I hope he wins, or the woman. That would be SWEET!"

    My thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That BB is a most charming young man! (But then, he had me at "hello.") Isn't it great that he will grow up in a country where blacks and women have *always* been Presidential candidates?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well...I've been discussing the recent presidential election with my mother - however, I'm a 40yo woman, and she one of 60, so I'm sure that's not *quite* what you had in mind! LoL

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.