Monday, December 10, 2007

Introducing a young "hospitician"

My nephew, a second grader, announced yesterday that he does not wish to be a soldier, a firefighter nor a police officer.* He wants to help people, but not in any way that places him in danger. So he has decided to be a "hospitician."

I had to ask him to elaborate, since, as best as I could tell, he made that word up. To those of us not in the know, a "hospitician" works in a hospital and could be, but is not necessarily, a doctor. My nephew is also willing to help others by "reading xrays and charts and looking through a microscope."

*I'm impressed that he never says "fireman" or "policeman." He very naturally assumes kids of either gender can grow up to hold any job. I'm proud to be a feminist and believe this is just another everyday example of how feminism has made a positive difference. It confuses me that many women within the blogosphere hold feminists in such low regard, and value victories like the one I mention above so cheaply.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got one fabulous nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the mouths of babes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what this kid really needs to do is be a TV hospitician. All the power, none of the real blood

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.