Monday, December 10, 2007

Give Me 5 Monday -- #3


This week's topic: Give Me Five things about Christmas/Holiday cards: buying them, getting them ready, sending them, receiving them, displaying them, tips for recycling them, getting/sending 'family newsletters', traditions, pictures, etc.

I love getting and giving Christmas cards, so this one will be fun!

1) I try to get my cards mailed over Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm usually successful. The holiday season is so short, and I want to squeeze as much festivity out of it as I can.

2) My cards are always from a charity I support -- usually the American Humane Society. I always have a backup card to send to my Jewish friends that only mentions "holidays," not Christmas.

3) Likewise, I'm very careful about which stamps I use. Most people get the Christian religious stamp. My Jewish friends and those who I know don't believe get the wintery fun stamps. After all, the point of the cards is to connect/reconnect/and celebrate with the people who matter in our lives, not to proselytize.

4) I have more than enough holiday address labels for my cards. In fact, I have more than enough holiday address labels for the rest of my life! It seems every charity sends them to me. I still haven't used up all the ones that feature scarecrows and jack o' lanterns, and now I'm swimming in reindeers and elves!

5) I always put a personal salutation or close in each card, and I never sign in red ink. I learned both of those tidbits of card-sending etiquette from my mom.

For more about Give Me 5 Monday, or to play along yourself, click here.


8 comments:

  1. Hey, what's the deal with red ink? It's one of the festive "red and green" colors! LOL I usually try to sign with green, since that's my top favorite color :) Great GM5 this week, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how small the blogging world is. I knew Becca before I knew you. Now that you've found each other, it's just so cool. I hope to post a give me 5 when I get home tonight. We'll see if I pass out or not when I get home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the red ink either. I guess I didn't take that class. You sound very organized and thoughtful. Have a great GM5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool of you to get your cards from the Humane Society! You are truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! :) Yea I wanna know what the deal is with red ink also! lol I really like how you get your cards from a charity what a great way to spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tell us, Gal; inquiring minds want to know - *why* shouldn't one sign in red ink (perhaps as "red ink" signifies debt/bad luck?!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As best as I can recall,signing a greeting card in red ink is like elbows on the table or tossing my jacket onto the sofa when I came into the living room -- "rude." I just absorbed these rules without giving them much scrutiny. Next time I talk to my mom, I'll ask her if there's more to it than that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:06 AM

    I send my cards pretty early also. I'm all for extra time with the Christmas decorations! Great GM5! www.mamapj.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.