Sunday, November 25, 2007

If I had to choose today …

… my candidate would be John Edwards. It isn't that I don't care about Iran, Iraq and Korea, because I do. But the other Democratic candidates have allowed foreign affairs to suck all the oxygen out of the debate. Oh, every once in a while we hear about health care and immigration reform, but mostly it's Iraq, Iraq, Iraq.

John Edwards keeps revisiting his "two Americas" theme and reminding us of our responsibility to one another. I especially like his idea about encouraging grocery stores to do business in low-income areas. I recently saw a story on our local PBS station about inner city kids and obesity. There are neighborhoods in Chicago that don't have real grocery stores, just convenience stores with aisle after aisle of chips and prepackaged cupcakes and refrigerator cases filled with frozen pizza. What produce they carry is very expensive and not exactly as fresh as it might be.

Edwards is doing what I believe a statesman should do -- he's using the system to amplify the voices of those we don't always hear.

Of course, when I look at the Democratic field, I am pleased and proud. Our side looks like America -- with a woman, a Black and a Hispanic all still viable candidates. No matter which one my Party nominates, I will be comfortable with my choice next November.

3 comments:

  1. Come to NH where I get a call almost every other night from his campaign. He was here in our little small town at 10 am, I almost took an hour off from work to see him and now that the day is over, wish that I had.

    The republicans are smearing each other in their calling whereas the Edwards' callers always bring up a good point about him. It's a tough call for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he stands a chance. But I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to choose, it would be Biden. He is the Democratic version of the McCain Straight Talk Express from 4 years ago.

    Doesnt matter though, I bleed blue

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.