Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Palace Intrigue

It's weird here at work today. Two of our big bosses were "let go" (fired, canned, booted) yesterday. I've been in this business long enough to believe they both had it coming, or at least had both been given ample warning that this was on the horizon. These two men at the top just couldn't get along, couldn't agree, couldn't cooperate, and it compromised the work we delivered to our client. When you consider that, if allowed to continue, their egocentric "dick wars" could have actually jeopardized our relationship with the client, thereby risking the jobs of at least 50 people who worked for them (including me), I say "screw 'em."

It's on days like this, though, that I'm glad I'm old. So many of the young pups are walking around either shell-shocked or frightened and the rumor mill is working overtime. I wouldn't trade places with them. Today I'm grateful I'm a seasoned vet who has seen it all, and knows to have 8 months* living expenses in the bank at all times, just in case.

*OK, I confess -- my savings are stalled at 7 1/2 months living expenses and somehow I can't just get over that hump. It's like the last 5 lbs. you can never lose, except completely opposite. Hey, cut me some slack! My nose and throat may have recovered from my bout with the flu, but my brain remains a little fuzzy.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:50 PM

    You're smart about this and good for you for having some savings to fall back on. I'd say the younger ones are facing the "If It Could Happen To Them Syndrome" and given the strong emphasis on consumerism vs savings nowadays, not to mention the struggle to make ends meet with higher costs, I'm sure they're feeling the panic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:48 AM

    I admire you for having that 7 1/2 months saved. I have my tiny 401k but that is it.

    My retirement plan at this point is knowing I get my father's townhouse outside of Boston when he's gone. Can you say "For Sale"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 AM

    Psycho-babble analysis offered by someone who has no credentials, except for being a psycho-babble hack? You can't get to 8 months savings because in your head, if you actually do that, then you set yourself up for actually getting canned and having to access it. OR ... you just need to set your goal on 10 months and then you can rest easier knowing you stall at 9.5 months. OR ... Anyway, I'm impressed you've got that much stashed. GOOD for you. I've been laid off and let go so many times, I know that it's just attitude that helps you survive and thrive. Shake ups can be good...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.