Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #33 -- The "I Can Dream about You" Edition


THIRTEEN TOTALLY TERRIFIC MEN
The Gal Herself
Fantasizes about on a Regular Basis


This TT was inspired by Cupcake, whose blog has on occasion mentioned the stellar line-up of hotties populating her fantasies. She has them broken down into categories: Spiritual Fiance, Former Future Husbands, Boyfriends and Ex-boyfriends. (To protect their privacy, I won’t include their names.)

Lest Cupcake think she’s the only one who has a motel for a mind, here are 13 of the men who hang out in my head.

1. Paul McCartney. Rosebud lips, perfectly straight nose and oh, those deep brown eyes! I have loved my romantic troubadour since I was in first grade and see no reason to stop. This is, without a doubt, the most successful relationship I have ever had. I attribute this to the fact that he doesn’t know I’m alive. Therefore, I can’t piss him off or wear him down, as I have men I’ve known in my boring other existence, aka “real life.”

2. Hugh Grant. Perhaps I simply have a weakness for Brits with too much hair, but I don’t see how any woman can gaze upon him and not swoon. His sense of humor helps. The man just cracks me up. I love his response in Two Weeks’ Notice, when Sandra Bullock tells him he’s the most selfish human being on the planet. “Well, that’s just silly. Have you met everybody on the planet?”

3. Bruce Springsteen. Soul of a poet and a body by Nautilus. What else could a girl want? Oh yeah, he knows how to sling a guitar, and wears his heart on his sleeve. Not one of those wimpy entertainers who won’t come out one way or the other on issues of the day for fear of offending the audience, The Boss understands that he articulates what his audience wants to say, yearns to say, about what really matters. And, at a time when even marginal performers compete to charge the highest ticket prices, The Boss is beginning another tour where the top ticket price is less than $100.

4. George Clooney. Put Bruce Springsteen and Hugh Grant into a blender and you get George Clooney. Politically active, politically correct, artistically daring, charming, funny, and unbearably hot in a tux.

5. Bruce Willis. There’s something sexy about a man who is this comfortable in his own skin. Whether he’s in an expensive suit, exasperating Cybill Shepard, or in a torn t-shirt, tormenting bad guys in the Die Hard series, or in a Bears jersey at the Super Bowl, enduring his ex-wife’s vapid new husband for the sake of his daughters, he’s always unselfconsciously self-assured and masculine.

6. Johnny Depp. So beautiful and so talented, he always seems to be having fun, whether he’s playing Captain Jack Sparrow or Ed Wood. I can’t wait to see him as Sweeny Todd. His joy is quirky and infectious (and, OK, a little creepy).

7. Colin Firth. Oh, these kids today! Swooning over Matthew MacFadyen from the 2005 Pride & Prejudice, as if he was the “real” Mr. Darcy! Come now, we all know there’s only one “real” Darcy, whether imagined by Jane Austin or Helen Fielding. After all, Colin’s Mark Darcy in the Bridget Jones movies is just as sexy … and sweet … and sensitive. A 14k dream guy.

8. Denzel Washington. Yes, he’s beautiful, but I enjoy listening to him almost as much as I love looking at him. He has a very mellow, seductive voice. Even when it’s raised in anger, his hypnotic voice draws you in rather than scaring you away.

9. Chris Meloni. My TV boyfriend. Elliott on L&O: SVU is just soooo hot. It helps that he and Olivia are in love but don’t know it. That makes his intensity just that much more poignant and romantic.

10. Richard Gere. It’s a clichĂ©, I know, but this man is like a fine wine that gets better with time. I found him so much more attractive in Unfaithful and Shall We Dance than he ever was in American Gigolo or An Officer and a Gentleman. Maybe it’s the white hair.

11. Greg Maddux. Future Hall of Famer, 9th winningest pitcher in the history of the game, and the #1 baseball player in my heart. There’s nothing that spectacular about his appearance, but that’s exactly the point. It’s no surprise that Michael Jordan or Tom Brady are exceptional athletes. They have the good looks, grace and fabulous physiques of exceptional athletes. Greg Maddux looks like an overgrown, slightly doughy, real-life Precious Moments figurine. Yet once he takes the mound, The Professor becomes one of the smartest, most controlled pitchers to ever toss a ball. He’s not good because of God-given gifts, he’s GREAT because of his single-minded determination and his love of the game. It’s his will to prevail that makes him so hot.

12. Robert Redford, aka Roy Hobbs, the #2 baseball player in my heart. Also known as Sundance. Gorgeous, smart and tantalizingly aloof. No matter who he’s playing, there’s always something about that man that’s just a little remote. Forever the treasure that’s just out of reach.

13. Charlie Rose. He speaks to my inner geek. In my wealthy Manhattanite fantasy, Charlie and I spend lazy Sunday mornings in bed, sharing mimosas, strawberries and the New York Times, making love over and over, but stopping every now and again to discuss foreign affairs, the new Broadway season, and the impact of the Internet on campaign fundraising. We turn down brunch with Nora Ephron and Nicholas Pileggi because we just can’t bear to let our people into our own private world just now. But we will manage to get out of bed and dress to meet Anderson Cooper for dinner. We love him! (My Charlie Rose fantasy only includes Sunday. Even in my dreams, he and I don't have the stamina to behave this way more than once a week.)


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Friday's Child compiled a TT that will amaze you. (Look for the one about turtles.)
2. Meloni-loving Tina doesn't seem to have a TT this week, but she's a compassionate sports fan so you should check out what she has to say about the injured Bills player
3. Thomma Lyn has an ambitious, goal-driven TT
4. Even though Tink had the nerve to diss Sir Paul, I encourage you to visit her TT
5. What works for us has a TT that'll make you smile about being old
6. Nicholas takes us on a one-word tour of his bookshelf
7. PJ takes an imaginative look at some hard-to-see characters
8. Nicole Austin shows us the spookier side of the graveyard shift at the hospital
9. No Nonsense Girl, who also wants my TV boyfriend, shows us around her desk
10. Jenny McB answers the really tough ones
11. When she's not drooling over Johnny Depp, Lori explains Murphy's OTHER Laws
12. Janet covers off on a topic she's the definitive expert on
13. Nap Warden knows her baby stuff and shares her knowledge.
14. yh quotes the Blackadder
15. Kendra gives us tips to use in the produce section
16. Kate Davies is very happy, and here's why
17. Damozel gives us an easy primer on the Watergate scandal
18. Xakara introduces some songs she wishes got more airplay
19. WAHM helps us turn crafts into cash
20. Mr. Duck shares his favorite delicious-but-bad-for-you recipes
21. Starchy takes us along when she eavesdrops
22. Annie's TT is a TV quiz
23. Morgan walks us through her busy day
24. Erin's TT is all about … Erin!
25. Amy delivers a tough-love refresher course on how to tell he's just not that into you
26. Mo shares the lowdown on honey
27. Nicole displays discerning taste when she lists her 13 favorite Beatle songs
28. Capt. Lifecruiser fills us in on the upcoming blog makeover
29. The Diva has a great little video about "chubby justice" and an equally entertaining, Smith-centered TT
30. Why not see the USA with Denise?
31. Double Decker Bus Guy speaks for all of us in his TT rant
32. Jackie has a list of thirteen celebrities she'd sleep with (a terrific idea for a TT, don't you think?)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


42 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for dreaming. They are all good looking men.
    Mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:25 PM

    Most of your list falls, for me, into the category of sexy but not my cup of tea. Heavy on the sexy though.

    The exception is Chris Meloni. He's so hot I even like watching him kiss other men, cause he looks to be just that good at it. If you've never watched OZ, you're missing out. He's totally opposite of Stabler; sociopathic, over-sexed, and almost evil. But watching the smile and laugh... oh, yeah.

    I disagree on Stabler and Benson, though. If they ever hooked up, they would regret it, because their relationship is deeper than that, more like brother/sister/best friend. And partners - as cops that's the most important bond. Elliot loves his wife. They need to work it out. Unless they want to spin off to Chicago: SUV so he can be with you. As a married gal, I'd try not to be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:27 PM

    What a fun list! All of those are great guys. And my particular faves from your list are George Clooney, Bruce Willis, Johnny Depp, Denzel Washington, and Robert Redford (isn't Robert Redford just fabulous in Out of Africa!)

    Happy TT to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know that I think that you have FABULOUS taste in men.

    I have dated Denzel, Greg, Hugh and Johnny in the past (all ex-boyfriends). Colin is a former future husband, almost as much for his role in "Circle of Friends" (co-starring Minnie Driver and Chris O'Donnell) because of one scene: he's looking at a kama sutra-type book and purrs (LITERALLY! He PURRS!), "I'd like to try that." The way he says "that" made me want to try that and more!

    You know how I feel about my Boss. He's the one and only Spiritual Fiancé.

    And I've met Charlie Rose. Actually was in the audience for one of his old talk shows in Washington, D.C. The topic? Male Make-overs.

    Loved your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met to put that in italics. Instead, I did I don't even know what to it.

    That's what discussing my stable does to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand your dreams except one... Paul McCartney..? Ewww! :-)
    My TT shares 13 things to do or see in my hometown Velsen / IJmuiden in The Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Wow - what a list girl! I certainly agree with you on #4, Mr. George. :)

    Ahhh yesss, a girl CAN dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Interesting list. I am frequently mistaken for several of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denzel, Johnny Depp and George Clooney are mine, you can keep the others. ;) Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:31 PM

    Great list of fantasy guys! I'm with you about George, Bruce, Johnny, Denzel, and Robert. Yum. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nah uh, Chris Meloni is MINE!!!! ;)

    Happy TT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at this list and if it was a quiz, I would have to say that you like the guys who like to have fun and like Bruce Willis, have that little smirk, cuz we know what they are thinking!

    Have you have seen a Denzel Washington interview? He is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Hugh Grant...it's funny, I know he's a bit of a sleaze, but a lovable one! My best (guy) friend never complains when I suggest (demand) we check out his latest movies. So far he's endured both Two Weeks Notice and Love Actually (his best role I think).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhhhh, Id do anything for a night with #6!! YUMMMMMY:) Great list. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Hey gal,
    I see some cross over here. Do we have to flip a coin when we run into #2,6,7,10 and 12?
    And excuse me, where is Mr. Shatner?
    your ol' pal

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL I love your list, so well thought out and amusing. I'll take Johnny Depp, that's my kind of guy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got some hotties there! I am digging Christian Bale (the new Batman) He didn't make the list:( Ah well more for me! Hot list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like George.... Great list of some "IDH" men!

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't say I dream about a few of yours :) I think I'd put Clive Owen and Viggo Mortensen in there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy TT! what about bret michaels? he was recently added to my list when i became addicted to his reality vh1 show "rock of love"... seen it? any 40 something man who can still pull off eye liner deserves mad props! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy! I see a lot of men who would make my list. Especially Colin Firth. :: swoon ::

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1:57 AM

    Hey, Clooney, Firth, and Grant are on MY list too. Nice one....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3:22 AM

    I know you said others aside from Depp and Denzel, but for the life of me I can't remember a one. LOL

    Stumbling off in my haze...:)

    Happy TT

    ~X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dream on!! Just make sure I can have a few of them several nights a week.

    my 13 is up

    http://momworksathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can easily admit that most of these guys are easily fantasy worthy. Hugh has that twinkle, George that suaveness, Bruce has the brain, Willis has that smirk, Maddux is your hero, Denzel is smooth. I don't get Paul McCartney though

    ReplyDelete
  26. Couldn't agree more--love George Clooney coming out of a blender! ha! I also love your Cubs post. GO CUBS!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like most of the men on your list - my favorites would be Bruce Willis, Meloni, Johnny Depp (not fond of his anti-American slip ups... but to me.. well, I don't care if he really has any opinions at all about anything - I mean... Seriously!).

    One that I find absolutely irresistable that didn't make it is... Adrian Paul. Not all the time, but in his role as Duncan MacLeod. What a hottie... he's the perfect modern day James Bond, but instead they keep casting those skinny guys without the sex appeal.... Ok, well, they're a little sexy... but not James Bond Sexy.

    Anyways.. I liked your list - and Stabler - steamy... you know he would be, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice Dreams... me, too.
    Bruce Willis as The Kid...and his ride in the WAHHHmbulance.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. GREAT list! I adore Hugh Grant and Colin Firth. I have a thing for British men. :) I love how your link list includes a summary of that person's TT; what a nice touch! My list is just random facts about me. http://stephenanderin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally agree with:
    2-- the accent does it for me every time.
    5-- Die hard... nuff said.
    and
    9-- HOLY SHIT!

    mine is up too! amyhabla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now, *THAT's* a list about honey!! LoL..

    what wonderful dreams you must have...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those are indeed nice men to have in and out of your head. :) And I agree with most of them by virtue of their voices alone. (Yeah, the visual is nice too, but a good voice is what does it for me.)

    Happy TT! Mine's up here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous4:02 PM

    It's never wrong with some fantasies... The one I disagree most about is Hugh Grant. I don't know what it is, and I do like humor a lot, but no, I just can't seem to like him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ohh so many dreamy men...

    well done, most excellent list... and now to gaze off all doey-eyed....

    my TT is up

    ReplyDelete
  36. Johnny Depp and Colin Firth I'll agree with you on, but thre rest aren't really my type, I guess.

    Thanks for visiting my TT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great - and dreamworthy - list!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I won't be too hurt that I didn't make the list... oh wait, you don't know me!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I will never watch "The Charlie Rose Show" in quite the same way again. :)

    By the way, thanks for stopping by my TT. There were other victims of "The Scooby Curse" who made my list: The Three Stooges.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You are funny. I've been to Illinois many times, but never to Springfield - it's capital.

    Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, and I thought I had strange taste in men! LOL
    That said, I can understand about 8 of them. Agree with every word you said about them.
    The ones I wouldn't consider fantasizing about are McCartney (probably just not my age group, maybe 20 years ago he was alright), Denzel (I agree he is good looking, but he doesn't stand out for me and I never noticed his voice), Greg Maddux and Charlie Rose (never heard of either of them), and Robert Redford (honestly, I never understood his appeal at all - I'd prefer Paul Newman any day, even though he is even older than R.R.).

    ReplyDelete
  42. cool and "hot" list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.