Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Heads & Tails #2

This week's meme is about the times luck has played a part in our lives.

For me, the one that's top of mind is HEALTH INSURANCE. I work in an industry -- advertising -- where comprehensive and affordable health insurance is an expected benefit. I think it's because hiring is competitive and agencies know that when a person is interviewing, or considering jumping ship, we compare the benefits different companies offer.

I know, though, that I'm lucky. Very lucky. If I have an ache or pain, I go to the doctor, hand over my insurance card, and only pay a portion of the customary and acceptable charge. If I need a preventative test -- like a mammogram, pap smear or a cholesterol check -- I just go and get it done, confident that if I'm charged at all, it will be minimal. The most I pay for a prescription is $40 -- generics are as little as $5. I recently had restorative dental work done, and much of that was covered by our dental plan.

My sister is not as lucky. She's a stay-at-home mom and her husband works in home maintenance/janitorial service. Their annual deductible is $2,500. He lost his job recently and the COBRA charge is crippling. And, as luck (there's that word again) would have it, now is when my sister has developed health problems. There are diagnostic tests involved, and while more expensive that they can afford, they still not $2,500. And naturally, now is when her tooth broke, and her family has no dental coverage whatsoever. Nor do they have any prescription coverage.

Two sisters/two very different stories. I'm lucky that I'm covered, she's unlucky because she's not. And it has had an impact on both our lives.

For more information about Heads & Tails, and to participate yourself, visit Skittles Place.

5 comments:

  1. We are very lucky to have good health benefits, too, with hubby making Fords.

    There was a time when me & my ex had a high deductible and it was awful.. because we were also low income.

    I feel for your sister.. and hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:19 AM

    we are very lucky to have insurance too :) Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great lucky post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel lucky to have good health so far, so many deadly diseases around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very lucky that my husband has good medical coverage too. Braces and glasses are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.