Sunday, July 08, 2007

All this airtime wasted on a non-issue!

Ok, so Scooter Libby was pardoned. Yeah, it was sleazy. But c'mon, we all saw it coming, didn't we? And I'm sorry, but when I think of all the other rights and programs and international relationships this President has gutted, I can't get all that upset about Scooter. I guess when it comes to this Administration, I'm plum out of outrage.

That's why it's making me CUH-RAZY that it's being discussed ad nauseum on the news shows! General Petraeus and Iraq, let's talk about that. Will these recent terror incidents, and the public's reaction, influence Gordon Brown's policy on Iraq? The impact of this Court reversing Brown v. Board of Education, let's talk about that. Does all this attention to Scooter mean that all is forgiven with Attorney General Gonzalez? All of these issues are far, far more important than Scooter, aren't they? Why have we allowed ourselves, and the media, to be distracted by this?

And, oh, how it's seeped into the 2008 discussion! Bill Clinton's impeachment ... Bill Clinton's last-minute pardons ... blah-blah-blah. NO CORRELATION. Apples and oranges. We all know that. The Clintons are discussing it themselves, running to their weakness, getting it out there, so by the time Iowans and New Hampshire-ites (is that right, Jenny?) get ready to cast their votes, Hillary can dismiss the whole pardon thing by saying, "Didn't Bill and I discuss this openly and honestly way back last summer?" And when we're talking about the (first) Clinton Presidency, we aren't talking about Barack Obama. So I understand Bill and Hill's motivation. But why is the press taking the bait and comparing/contrasting the Bill Clinton/George W. Bush pardons at this length?

McCain is imploding. Thompson still won't commit. What impact do Gore's family problems have on his decision to run? What's going on with the Edwards staff? Why are we STILL talking about Mark Rich and Susan McDougal?

I feel like we're being manipulated. How can we control the conversation?

6 comments:

  1. It's all part of operation "mass distraction."

    Just wait until the next starlet does something "news worthy." The "media" will forget all above Scooter Libby.

    Although I do have to say that all but the most die-hard Bushites (like that michael guy over at Sparky's) are pissed of by the Scooter thing.

    So, let them harp on it a bit longer. Less votes for whichever of the Bush-Lite Rethuglicans get the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and check this out:

    http://showthepresswedocare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check out the link, because all this really does bother me. But don't get me wrong -- I'm no fan of this President. I worked harder for, and am prouder of, my work for Senator John Kerry than anything else I've ever done in my whole life. The aftermath of that election literally broke my heart. When I think of who we dismissed and what we chose instead ... sometimes I feel like yelling at all these people who are newly outraged (clearly not you!), "WHERE WERE YOU IN NOVEMBER 2004?" or "Happy with your choice NOW, America?" Ever since Abu Gharib I have not kidded myself of what our leader is capable of. So I'm just too worn out by it all. I'm trying to focus on 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lost a great deal of respect for the press. They enabled so much of the garbage that was allowed to happen in this administration and we're all going to pay for it for a long time.

    (aka gabriella hewitt)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They continue to enable it because it makes some easy TV fare. Plus, its the doldrums of summer, when alot less people are paying attention overall. I was pissed, but now I have compartmentalized it because there is more to worry about.

    As Mrs Duck likes to say "I wasnt aware Hillary was president already"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:42 AM

    What conversation? Everyone wants to "control" the conversation, and that's the problem. I haven't heard true political conversation in years.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.