Sunday, April 15, 2007

Look at the face and remember his name

This is Bernard McGuirk. When you hear the now infamous "nappy-headed hos" dialog from the Imus show, this is the producer who started the conversation with the phrase, "hard-core hos."

I watched the Imus show occasionally on MSNBC and can honestly say I never heard Imus say anything offensive. Of course, when I watched he would be talking to Tim Russert or Senator Kerry and was on his best behavior. Bernard, or "Bernie," didn't mind being toxic in front of higher profile guests. I never heard him say anything that wasn't hateful or spiteful or angrily superior. (Nor funny, now that I think of it.) Whereas Imus does do a lot of work for kids with cancer and has championed the plight of veterans, all I ever heard Bernard do is be hateful.

I realize the name of the show was Imus in the Morning, and therefore Imus is/was responsible for all the content. He must have been amused by Bernard or Bernard wouldn't be there. However, if the old guy's career is now over, it's only fair that this "gentleman" also pay a public price for his hate language. I don't begrudge him the opportunity to make a living -- I just begrudge him the opportunity to do it on public airwaves.

So take a good and careful look. And remember the name Bernard McGuirk. If he ever again emanates from your TV or your radio, please reach for the dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.