Saturday, November 18, 2006

Merry Christmas, Dear Cesar

I requested a Santa letter from the Chicago Sun-Times. Through this program, a child who lives below the poverty line writes to Santa, the letter goes from his teacher to the Sun-Times to someone like me.

I'm a sucker for programs like this, and toy drives, and Toys for Tots because I'm in advertising. While I currently don't have a client who sells toys, I still need to do penance. After all, I'm still in an industry that equates Christmas with visions of Bratz and Legos and Gameboys and iPods. What happens to the children whose families can't afford the cool new stuff? Do they feel less loved? Do they wonder why Santa gives good gifts to everyone but them?

What happens to kids like Cesar?

I'm holding his letter, rereading it for the 100th time. The program imposes a limit of $25 per child, so when the gifts are distributed at the school Christmas party, there won't be a great disparity among the value of the presents. Fair enough. Apparently not asking for anything that costs too much was really drilled into this little guy. According to his request, decorated with candy canes and a Christmas tree, his favorites are little green soldiers (though he likes other colors, too) and Hot Wheels cars. "Hot Wheels maybe they cost $2. But I like my little soldiers and they cost less than $1."

His teacher included a note, explaining that Cesar is in 4th grade. His parents work hard, and they insist Cesar work hard, too. He gets good grades and has an exceptional attendance record.

Oh, Cesar! I don't mind spending $25 on you! I think it's enormously moving that you rein in your dreams rather than be greedy or disobedient. I wish there was someway to contact you, to find out what you really want, even if money was no object. You'll get your soldiers, Cesar, and your Hot Wheels, too. And maybe a nice warm Chicago Bears cap. (Every Chicago kid loves those 8-1 Bears.) I want you to believe the magic of Christmas after you open my gift, Cesar. I'm going to work on it. You're going to love this present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.