Tuesday, April 02, 2024

WWW.WEDNESDAY


WWW. WEDNESDAY asks three questions to prompt you to speak bookishly. To participate, and to see how other book lovers responded, click here

PS I no longer participate in WWW.WEDNESDAY via that link because her blog won't accept Blogger comments. I mention this only to save you the frustration I experienced trying to link up.

1. What are you currently reading? Hollywood: The Oral History compiled by Jeanine Bassinger and Sam Wasson. 700+ pages of reminiscences from actors, directors, screenwriters, producers ... the story of Hollywood told by the people who created it. I just cracked it open and I'm already behind in my reading. I joined an online book club and we're discussing it ... soon. (I noted the date somewhere. If only I could remember where. Maybe I won't be discussing it. I mean, if I can't find the date and the link ...)


2. What did you recently finish reading? Murder in the Ball Park: A Nero Wolfe Mystery by Robert Goldsborough. New York, ca 1950, is in turmoil. A politician is murdered at the Polo Grounds, during the 4th inning of the Dodgers vs. the Giants. It's  shocking event that presents the NYPD with an almost insurmountable problem: a high-profile murder with tens of thousands of eye witnesses and a ton of suspects.


Cases that confound the police are the specialty of Nero Wolfe. I love being in Wolfe's world: his gourmet meals, exotic plants, idiosyncratic schedule, colorful employees. My favorite is Archie Goodwin, his "legman," out there in the city, cracking wise and collecting clues.


This is a fine effort. Not one of the best of the series -- I seemed to figure out the plot twist before Wolfe or even Archie, and that's just wrong -- but still a fine time.


 

3. What will you read next? I don't know.



 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why I haven't read any Nero Wolfe mysteries...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.