Sunday, March 17, 2024

Three Nice Things about Myself -- Day 17

My blogging buddy, Kwizgiver, wrote a post that really resonated with me. She detailed how self-care helped her helped her prevail during a (ridiculously) tough month. Her tips were very wise and so doable! So she has inspired me to take one and integrate it into my own life.

Since I can be a pretty harsh self-critic, this is the one I chose. I hope I can do this every day during March. By then it should be a habit, right?

Three nice things about myself -- March 17:

1) I can get to yes. Last weekend, I took my friend Nancy out to lunch for her birthday. It didn't go well because she grumped and bitched about everything. When she invited me to join her this weekend, I was tempted to decline because really, who needs the agita? It occurred to me, though, that she might feel bad about how her birthday celebration unfolded, too, so I gave her a mulligan. I'm happy to report it went really well, and she told me that she and her husband "always love spending time" with me.

2) I'm open and receptive. The outing with Nancy and her hubs was lunch but first a Purim spiel. I'd never been inside a synagogue before. I loved the play the congregation put on, with a multi-generational cast and Beatles music. It was inspiring and educational and I'm glad that my own faith is strong and secure enough that I can explore and respect someone else's. Attending an event in a synagogue felt both very Christian and very American to me, which leads me to ...

3) I'm a stereotype, but I'm OK with that. Scrolling through my DVR I happened upon All the President's Men, which I haven't seen in years. Watching Woodward/Bernstein battle for the integrity of the Constitution inspired me to write my Postcards to Voters. I like that I work to be an involved citizen.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I think its great that you gave your friend another chance and had a good time with her. The Purim Spiel sounds very interesting. I don't think I'm ever been in a synagogue either, but I would be open to visiting. Once again, you are a good role model to me. I signed up to write some voter letters and will be doing that soon. I remember All the President's Men and Watergate. That is what inspired me to major journalism in college. Now, it is just sad that the press is so disrespected and even treated with contempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post is wonderful. I want to be more like you.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.