Friday, February 02, 2024

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Poor Little Fool (1958)

1) Ricky Nelson sings of a girl with "carefree devil eyes." Are your eyes your best feature? If not, what is? My complexion. In my teens I hated having oily skin. But now that I'm a senior I'm grateful. I'm a little jowly in my old age, but I'm quite unlined.

2) "Poor Little Fool" literally arrived at Ricky's doorstep. A pretty girl knocked on his front door, and played and sang her original composition for him. Who has most recently knocked on your front door (or rung the bell)? My neighbor from the end of the hall. He brought me a package that had been delivered. My neighbors are nice that way.

3) That girl was Sharon Sheeley. A teen model in Los Angeles during the 1950s, she met many of the early rock stars at promotional events. Elvis encouraged her to follow her heart and start writing songs, so she did. Who have you advised recently? Did they take your advice? I have been trying to help my friend Elaine as she introduces a new cat into her household. She's not listening to me one whit. Oh well, maybe I'm full of shit.



4) With the success of "Poor Little Fool," Sharon gave up modeling and concentrated on music. Her songs were recorded by singers such as Richie Valens, Glen Campbell and Johnny Rivers. How many different occupations have you tried? Which was your favorite? I've been an administrative office worker, a writer and now a sales girl. I'm enjoying my job at the card shop more than I thought I would. I was a writer for 40+ years and got great satisfaction from it. I really did not enjoy secretarial work. I was OK at it, but I was bored and I really didn't like my bosses very much.

5) Ricky Nelson was the son of Ozzie and Harriet and brother of David Nelson. They began performing together as a family with their radio program The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. They took the show to television in 1952, where they were referred to as "The Most Famous Family in America." What TV family would you like to hang around with? I'd like to be the oldest Geller daughter (Friends). I wonder if Dad would give me a cool nickname, like how he calls Monica his "Harmonica." Plus I'd have Rachel* and Chandler as my in-laws.

6) While Ricky eventually became the audience favorite, he wasn't initially a likely candidate for stardom. A producer described him as "an odd little kid," shy and small for his age. In those early days, big brother David was more outgoing and considered a natural actor. Thinking back to your preteen years, were you more like David or Rick? I was more like David. I can be introverted but I've never been shy and making friends has always come easily to me.

 7) Ricky never got over his shyness. He often closed his eyes as he sang on camera or before an audience because it helped him battle his nerves and concentrate on the music. Fan magazine oohed and aahed over his beautiful long lashes and young girls fantasized about Ricky closing his eyes before leaning in for a kiss. Who was your big pre-teen crush? Sir Paul McCartney.

8) In 1958, when "Poor Little Fool" was #1, American women were shopping for Italian-inspired footwear. Heels were lower, and the leather was textured and less shiny that the popular patent leather of years gone by. If you were to go shoe shopping today, what would you be looking for? Can I shop for socks instead? They are footwear, after all. I really need to organize and replenish my sock drawer.

9) Random question -- Which of these parties sounds like the most fun: a) one you host yourself; b) one at a friend's home; c) a surprise party in your honor? B! Definitely b. All the fun and none of the work.

 

*Yes, I believe Ross and Rachel eventually married.



8 comments:

  1. Your sock comment made me laugh because I can so relate! I like the soft fuzzy ones and I even have seasonal socks. I cannot wear them to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have oily skin until I got older. I hate it, but at the same time, like you, I've discovered it has kept my skin nearly wrinkle-free and I don't have to buy expensive moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 No one believes that I’m in my seventies, I was flattered the other day when I was told that I didn’t qualify for a senior discount… she made my day. It was a little weird arguing that I was older.
    #6 Making friends has always been hard for me.
    #9 Ditto, let them do the cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you for oily skin that is aging well, I used to try anything to have "normal" skin but now it's a blessing! And the Gellers--what a fun choice. (I agree, Ross & Rachel got married)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had oily skin as well. I have a nice complexion now too.
    #8, I love socks. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I have lost a few pounds, I have more wrinkles on my face. I don't know that they will go away, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to organize my sock drawer too. It's full and now I can't wear most of them because they are too tight.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.