Monday, January 17, 2022

More than just an opportunity to sleep in

Today I celebrated Dr. King's birthday by staying in bed till noon. Then I took a long, leisurely shower and reheated wontons and fried rice. (Yum!) It was lovely, but that's not what today is about.

I also sent postcards to voters, encouraging registered Democrats to make sure they're enrolled in Vote By Mail. We live in a country where as many as 40% of voters believe taking a knee in peaceful protest during the National Anthem is shameful, but storming the Capitol with Confederate flags and MAGA hats is somehow not all that bad. It's important that men and women of good will and good conscience vote, and I'm happy I gave up a wee bit of day off toward that end.

5 comments:

  1. You are the second person I met that sends out reminders. That is great. We always vote by mail. We have for years. By the time we would drive home from work it was dark and we were hungry and we would go wait in line. That is why we decided to vote by mail. We both worked for the USPS and saw tons of ballots being processed. That mail was handled as priority mail. Things went downhill with DeJoy according to our friends still working there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those exact same postcards and just requested more addresses to write to the good voters of Wisconsin re: their senate race. I agree with what your second paragraph 100%. I will be writing postcards just as soon as I get the addresses. Happy MLK Day, and thanks for taking your time to try to make a difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love every word of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spurred my guidance department on to a new school-wide suicide prevention challenge. It's set for February.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.