Friday, August 27, 2021

Oh, Andy!

Andy Avalos, my favorite weatherman, is retiring today. Since 2003, he's been a positive and comforting presence on my TV screen. There have been sleepy, confused Friday or Monday mornings when I thought it was the weekend but realized I had to get my ass out of bed because I saw Andy, my weekday weatherman.

Before covid, he would do a weekly remote at Chicago's Anti-Cruelty Society, spotlighting pets who need homes. He ended those spots with, "Always make pet adoption your first option." During covid, his own (one-eyed) dog and cat frequently crashed his from-home broadcasts. I can tell by the casual, confident way he handles these critters that he really is a pet person. (He's also mentioned a bird that sits on his shoulder while he reads.) 

"Always make adoption your first option"
 

Over the years I've learned that he is cheap (he prefers "thrifty"), loves (free) donuts, wears a snowman tie if he expects to report accumulation, and always looks sharp -- a former USAF pilot, that was drilled into him during his service and he's carried it with him for life.

I will miss him.



3 comments:

  1. I am good friends with the spouse of our local anchorman, who has been on the air for 38 years. He was the weatherman and then moved into the anchorman's position a few years ago. When Robin retires, I know it will be good for them personally, but it will be a shock not to see him on the 6 p.m. news after all of these years. Kind of like not having Alex on Jeopardy! So I get you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun when your local news people have been around a long time. I think our current team has been around at least 25 years. They become part of our family. Sad when they retire! But it sounds like you had a good run with Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our local station is a training ground for recent graduates--so they start out rather green and get better and better then they go off to larger markets.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.