Thursday, March 19, 2020

Oh, yes I did!

I tried to join a webex meeting this afternoon. Distracted, I dialed as if I was at my desk. Which means I first dialed 9 for an outside line, then 1, then the meeting code, that began with 1. Only I didn't need to dial for an outside line. So I'd dialed 911. The Emergency Number.

I'm such an idiot.

When I explained to the dispatcher, she was very gracious, but told me that a squad car was en route anyway.

I felt so bad that I waited downstairs for the police and when she arrived, I came out in the rain to tell her I was OK. The officer, too, was gracious, telling me no apology was necessary and she was glad nothing was wrong.

I was drenched in guilt and humiliation. Oh yeah, and this caused me to miss the meeting. The first real work I've had all week!

My boss had given me a quick overview of what the content was going to be, and so I was able to give him a few topline ideas anyway. I don't think anything will come of it, or this project, but at least I did what was asked of me.

And I have an anecdote for when someone asks me what I did in self quarantine.




2 comments:

  1. I am not sure what button I want to push; Funny, Interesting, Cool? Maybe all three...I am sure it wasn't all that funny at first, grin. I am glad the police came though, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Mortification! Sorry you missed the meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.