Thursday, March 26, 2020

I'm sure Thom Harmann is a nice and wise man

... but I'm not listening to him. At least not these days.

My friend Kathy doesn't have cable, so she's taken to listening to progressive radio. She pays close attention to Stephanie Miller and especially Thom Hartmann, believing they're sharing important information that the major networks miss. I don't know how she could know that, since she doesn't get CNN or MSNBC, but that's not the point. She sincerely believes that Thom Harmann's show would engage me and she wanted to share. I appreciate that.

But I've declined. I have severely restricted my news intake during this pandemic. I listen to Gov. Pritzker, read the Sun Times, watch the local news and the first hour of The Today Show. For an avowed news junkie who has cable news on from the moment I open my eyes, this is quite a switch. But I find it's the best way to stay sane.

I can't bear the minute-by-minute stock market updates and Trump tweets. My local and state governments have a greater impact on my day-to-day life than Washington, and The Today Show keeps me updated on what Dr. Fauci says. When this is over, I'll go back to following the 2020 race to the White House.


3 comments:

  1. Yes! I've restricted my news intake, for just the reasons you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to do the same thing. What I see and hear without trying is enough to make me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I can flip through current events on Twitter fast, and be caught up quickly. Then, go about my day. The energies are chaotic and SO MUCH GASLIGHTING .... I just cannot take in that crap. Good for you being discerning.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.