Friday, December 20, 2019

Saturday 9



Saturday 9: Happy Holidays! (from the archives)  
 
1. Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether -- either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn't celebrate Christmas?  I would have preferred to write a letter. I felt I could have been far more specific for Santa by copying out page numbers from the Sears Christmas Catalog. But my mom got a kick out of seeing us with Santa, so that's what we did.
 

2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there? I'd put me on the Nice list. I've worked at being a better person -- in classic film vernacular, I strive to be more Melanie and less Scarlett. I've done some good work for my client and been a good friend. Yes, Santa, label me Nice!

Every day I ask: WWMD (What would Melly do?)

3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest? Speaking of classic movies, I sent a copy of the shooting script of The Godfather to my oldest friend in Hesperia, CA. I picked it up last April while at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood. It came home with me on the plane (1,740 miles) and then I mailed it back about 1,940 miles to Hesperia, courtesy of the USPS.
 
4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year? This past Tuesday, I bought myself a book and took myself to lunch. It was pricey, but I enjoyed it.
 
5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year? My favorite is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I watched it on YouTube.

 6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? No.
 
7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party? It wasn't the Christmas party, but it was a work function and I'd prefer not to speak of it. Thirty years later and my cheeks still get hot.
 
8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather? Bailey's Irish Creme.
 
9. Share a memory from last Christmas. Last year, was an intense Christmas. Henry was newly home from the hospital after his life threatening, October 2018 accident. I was thrilled to see him alive, and grateful that we could be together, but he really wasn't well yet. I'm looking forward to a merrier and more chill Christmas, as his condition has improved.

Enjoy your holidays, Everyone!



7 comments:

  1. Those Sears catalogs were good for so many hours of dreaming, weren't they? I remember perusing the pages and circling everything my little heart desired and then going back to make my list...including page number, size, color, etc. Funny thing is, I don't really recall ever getting anything I circled, but I know I was never disappointed.

    Merry Christmas! I hope you have a much better time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear Henry has improved. I remember your story about him and have wondered about him.
    In other news...are the Cubs or Cardinals going to give us any Christmas gifts? Hee, hee. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it all goes well and that you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Christmas travel stories. They break up the humdrum winter doldrums I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m going to have to try some of that Bailey’s Irish Creme. And may your friend feel better and better so you aren’t so worried about him, and you both can be happier.
    That gift you bought and sent was really well travelled👍🏻❤️
    Merry Christmas, Gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the catalogs. We wore the pages thin in the weeks before Christmas!

    Someone else on Sat 9 mentioned her favorite movie was "Get Santa," which I'd never heard of, but I found it on demand and am watching it now! So far good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee... I wasn't the only one who used the Sears toy catalog to list the toys I wanted. I didn't go to the extreme of writing the page numbers.
    What the kids are missing out today... getting the Sear's toy catalog.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.