Wednesday, November 06, 2019

It's been days ...

... since I rhapsodized about Anthony Rizzo. So let's remedy that right now. Lookee here!

Rizzo’s Family Foundation just donated $1 million dollars to the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood, Florida. Hollywood is just 30 miles from Parkland, where Rizz grew up.

In 2008, when he was still in his teens, Anthony was diagnosed with cancer. At the same time his grandmother was fighting her own losing battle with the disease. He learned the hard way that when a family member has cancer, it impacts the whole clan. He's made helping children and families cope with cancer his off-field career.

Here in Chicagoland, he's been an angel to the parents at Lurie Children's Hospital. In 2017, his foundation built the new waiting room ($3.5 million) so that no parent will ever have to be uncomfortable while visiting their kid. Last year, he donated another $2 million to help families make ends meet while their child is being treated. (I read a note from a grateful mom who said that this donation made it possible for her other children to be in safe, secure daycare while she was at the hospital because no mother can be in two places at once, least of all the mother of a sick child.)

This year, for Christmas, I'm giving as many Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation gifts as I can. I know the money will go to a good cause.




1 comment:

  1. I am likewise inspired by your post--it will be my charity of choice this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.