Saturday, October 13, 2018

Key West Man Airlifted to Miami

So read the headline. The Key West man is my friend Henry.

He was riding his bike home Friday night at about 11 PM. He gets off work at about 7:00, so I don't know where he'd been. Dinner with a friend? A writer's guild meeting? Pedaling home, he turned from a side street onto the busy street ... and into a Chevy Van.

At about 6:00 AM, his partner, Reg, was notified by the local police. Henry had been taken to the local Key West hospital, but his injuries were beyond their capabilities and he was airlifted to a trauma center in Miami.

I spoke to Reg briefly during his three hour drive to Miami. My friend is in "critical but stable condition." A broken ankle, which in the scheme of things is no big deal, and traumatic brain injury. TBI, it's called.

I've since heard that Henry is still "critical but stable." I'm told that no change at this point is a "positive" thing, and "the hospital staff is hopeful." What are they hopeful for? His survival? His recovery? Will my friend be all right?

There is nothing I can do but pray.

And curse the fact that, even though they work three jobs between them, Reg and Henry cannot afford a second car. I have always hated the idea of Henry pedaling in the dark. He has always made light of my concerns -- reassuring me that he makes himself very visible to other vehicles with reflectors and lights. But, it seems, last night he was the one who wasn't paying attention. And what would have been a little fender bender between two vehicles is now traumatic brain injury.

I am desolate.






7 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am so sorry about your friend. What a terrible accident. I am adding my prayers that he will recover and be okay. Praying, too, for Reg and you...and all his family and friends...that God will strengthen and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gal! I'm sending much love for a complete recovery. TBI is scary stuff. But if the hospital is hopeful, that's a good thing.

    Sending love your way, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I am so sorry to hear about this. Those nice gentlemen can't seem to catch a positive break, can they? Sending love to them AND you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, Gal, how awful! I’ll keep all three of you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I hope as the days have gone by, they have been able to downgrade that TBI to something less life threatening and dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about your friend. I hope you get better news very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.