Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Well, now it's happened.

I got a sad email from my oldest friend. She is now completely, flat broke. Her phone has been turned off and her car repossessed. I assume her credit card accounts have been closed, but I don't know for sure.

I feel terrible for her. Of course. Naturally. But I don't think it's the worst thing. I think it's been much harder for to wait for this to happen, to live under a constantly threatening storm cloud.

She's been maddeningly incommunicado as of late. Not answering emails. Not responding to texts. Her voicemail was always full, so I couldn't leave a message.

Then, in mid-June, I got a call from the finance company that held her car loan. She had used me as a reference, and they couldn't reach her, either. That's when I understood the situation. She was probably afraid of her phone and email, knowing bill collectors were demanding funds she simply didn't have.

Now that it's happened, now that it's over, I imagine life is easier for her. Like Tom Petty sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Now that she has bottomed out, she's able to take advantage of the social safety nets California has to offer. She reports that she can now afford all her meds and she's been to the dentist for the first time in years, because it's just $1/visit. Soon, I predict, she'll be feeling better.

I'm relieved to report she's luckier than most in her position. She has air conditioning, internet and cable through her cousin, whose home she's living in, rent free.

She promises to let me know when she gets her state-issued phone. Unlimited talk and text.

I hope it's soon. I miss her!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your friend's troubles. You're right, though, that it's probably a major relief. Many years ago we had to declare bankruptcy and even though we declared the kind that required us to make payments as determined by the court to the tune of $100,000 in five years...not only was the stress of bill collectors gone but we were better off financially and had more money left to do other things with. I kind of hated to see it end, but we did get a letter of commendation from the court for seeing it through and paying off all of our debt. It seems the majority of people who declare the type of bankruptcy we did default long before they have paid the debt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimately I think bottoming out is the best thing for her--to get the help she so desperately needs will empower her. I hope she is able to reach out to you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.