Sunday, October 16, 2016

"I love you, Gal"

I talk and write and post a lot. I can be very blabby. Sometimes I forget that people retain what I say. I've often discussed how Melanie Hamilton Wilkes is my role model. I want to be kind and selfless. I try to see the best in people. But then, sometimes at the worst possible times, my inner Scarlett bursts forth.

My former secretary, Amy, moved to Philly years ago. Early this morning, she IM'd me with a photo of Scarlett in the red dress. "This is how I feel today," she wrote. "I have to walk into a room where everyone hates me. Like you said, I want to be Melly but I end up like Scarlett." She wrote about how she had to address a community group that wasn't necessarily receptive to what she had to say. She'd made some tough choices on behalf of her synagogue that not everyone agreed with.

I reminded her that while it's easy to dismiss Scarlett as a heartless bitch, she did hold Tara together against all odds and keep her family warm, dry and fed. And Amy saved the building her religious community worships in.

"Thank you," she responded. "I love you, Gal."

This made me so happy. I effortlessly had a positive influence on someone else. How very Melly of me!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this analogy and wonder why I've never considered it. I've read GWTW four times and seen the movie more than that. Love this.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.