Friday, August 28, 2015

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 28


Today's Happy Cone goes to a new discovery. This is a very little thing. But then, it's been kind of a crummy day, and I take my joy where I find it.

I was stuck in the bathroom (she said euphemistically) so long that I couldn't get to the office before 10:30. Since we have Summer Fridays, where the office closes at 12:30, it was hardly worth it to go in. So I called in sick and went back to sleep. Finally, at about 2:30, I felt well enough to go out and face the world.

I walked to the vet to pick up the new prescription catfood now required by Reynaldo and old Joe. On the way back, I stopped at a new, independent grocery store. It replaced the mom'n'pop that had been there for 28 years. Under previous ownership, the prices were really low but the selection was disturbingly small and the shopping experience was unpleasant. The new owners brought in new freezers and added an island salad bar and a revamped meat/butcher department.

The prices went up, but I still managed to find a nice sale item (a box of mac'n'cheese, perfect for the food pantry, for just 69¢). I picked up favorite Brawny paper towels, with full sized sheets (!), a treasure I can't find anywhere else around here anymore. And it's always satisfying to support a small, independent business. (The new owners own another store in downtown Chicago, but two locations are hardly a chain.)


What's that you say? What's the August Happiness Challenge?

Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.


If you want to play along, just come back here (meaning to this blog, not this individual post) each day in August, looking for the happy chocolate cone. Every day I will try to have a post with the headline: August Happiness Challenge: Day [X]. Leave a comment and then post your own daily happiness, with August Happiness Challenge in the title to make it easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.