Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (1980)

1) In this video, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury is wearing a leather jacket. Do you have a leather jacket? I used to. I still may have it somewhere. It wasn't a Freddie Mercury-style jacket. It was tailored with knit accents and I used to dress up jeans/slacks.

2) There's a statue of Freddie in Switzerland. There's another statue of him above the Dominion Theater in London. Tell us about a statue or memorial in your town. The one I pass the most often is dedicated to the memory of the soldiers my community sent to WWI and never came home. (I know it was WWI because of their helmets.)

3) Mercury said this song was inspired by Elvis Presley. What's your favorite Elvis song? Oh, I love Elvis. Especially sad, sincere Elvis. "Seven lonely days and a dozen times ago, I reached out one night and you were gone." Breaks my heart every time.


4) This song was covered by the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks. Do you still watch cartoons? Yes. If I happen upon Mr. Magoo or Rocky & Bullwinkle, I still stop and watch.

5) The members of Queen met while attending Ealing Art College in London. Are you still in touch with the friends you had in your late teens and early 20s? I met John and Mindy when I was 23 and they're still my friends to this day.

6) During Queen's hey day in the 1980s, Mercury stayed in shape with tennis and swimming. Are you more accomplished on the court or in the pool? I am a good swimmer. Not fast, but I have endurance. I only played tennis once and it was not pretty.

7) In 1980, when this song was popular, Brooke Shields made a jeans commercial where she said, "Nothing comes between me and Calvins." It actually only aired for a short time because so many viewers called and complained about it. Have you ever called or emailed to protest something you saw on TV? Nope. But I can tell you, working an ad agency, that companies do listen. Your letters and emails are read. As far as Facebook and Twitter go, it's not what you say (since so many people are anonymous trolls), but it's the total tonnage of posts that gets attention.

8) 1980 is also the year the Post-It note was introduced. What's the last Post-It you wrote? "We're still tweaking two of the letters." OK, it's not a compelling answer but it is an honest one.

9) Random question: Do you blush easily? Not so much.

6 comments:

  1. Reading your answers reminded me that I have a suede jacket. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that companies actually listen to consumers. I have generally had good luck if I complain directly about something. At least a coupon or something for a broken product. But sometimes, no. Kodak gave me a hard time, I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot about Magoo. Ray Raynor use to show that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying tennis once does not count. I said "no" and I even took lessons. Of course I was 11. But it did come in handy when my kids wanted to learn. Not to teach but to volley...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember "Mr. Magoo" always bumping into things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when companies have excellent customer service - Crocs and Amazon come to mind - but hate when they don't - Sonic and Walmart, for example. Glad to know they really do listen, generally speaking!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.