Saturday, July 11, 2015

F as in "Foxtrot" ...

... through N as in "November."

We're the citizens who have been called as jurors on Monday. At the Daley Center, which is in the heart of the Loop. As Cook County courthouses go, it's the best place to be assigned. Easy to get to by public transportation, surrounded by lunch places I'm already familiar with, and usually the home of not violent trials.

I can't honestly say I want to do this. I'll probably be stuck sitting in an uncomfortably chilly room all day (with no wifi) and not even be interviewed to sit on a jury. Or if I get through to voir dire, I'll be one of dozens interviewed and therefore not likely to be chosen. Meanwhile, at the office, I have to trust others with my 2:00 presentation, and I hate trusting others with my work.

On the other hand, I can't honestly say I don't want to do this. I still think the system is very cool. I am that corny. "Trial by a jury of your peers." It rocks.



2 comments:

  1. The only time I have ever been called to jury duty I was living in Ireland and it was a huge deal for my family to file the paperwork to get me out of it. (of course, that was the 80s before internet and cell phones!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just served jury duty a few months ago. Like you, I didn't mind going, though it was a huge inconvenience. It's part of being a citizen of this country. Our wait room did have wi-fi, an I never got empaneled, so it wasn't too bad at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.