Saturday, May 03, 2014

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: Blues in the Night (1952)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
   
1) Was last night a good night for you? Or were you singing the blues? It really was fine. I didn't do much -- tired from a lot of drama at work -- but relaxing and I woke up happy this morning.

2) In this song, Rosemary Clooney sings about hearing "big talk" she didn't quite believe. What's the last fib, tall tale or out and out lie you heard? Thursday we were talking about our client's major (3-5 year) project and my boss completely contradicted a story he told me last year. Which is the truth and which is the fib? I don't know. It's quite frustrating.

3) Rosemary Clooney has a well-known nephew -- George, the Oscar winner and frequent People magazine cover story. Do you have any nieces or nephews? My favorite niece is 21 and off learning to become a chef in Michigan. My favorite nephew is 13 and about to graduate from jr. high.

4) Ms. Clooney married the same man twice. They married, had five children and divorced. Then three years later, they tried again ... and divorced again. Have you ever been tempted to give it another try with one of your former loves? I have fantasized about it, played "what if?" in my head a lot, but never really done it.

5) Singers as diverse as Linda Ronstadt, Bette Midler and Amy Winehouse have said they admired and were influenced by Rosemary Clooney. If you could meet any artist (singer, writer, actor, director, painter, musician ...), who would it be? Sue Grafton, who writes the Kinsey Milhone alphabet mysteries. She just gave us "W" is for Wasted, so I fear we're reaching the end! What does she have planned for our heroine? Is she going to miss Kinsey?


6) 1952, the year this record was a hit, is also the year the "Big Bang Theory"
was introduced by physicists Ralph Alpher and George Gamow. That is too lofty a topic for this humble meme, so instead we'll just ask: Do you watch the TV show of the same name? Yes. This week at work we were confronted with a rather complicated calculation and all I could think of to do was call Sheldon.


7) Sam Winters just broke her right thumbnail. While she won't go so far as saying it has her singing the blues, she must admit it bugs her. What little annoyances are you dealing with today? A zit on my chin. REALLY? At this stage in my life I still have to deal with pimples?

8) The house next door to Sam's has a FOR SALE on the lawn. Are you contemplating a move? No. I like my neighborhood and I hate moving.

9) What's your search engine of choice: Google, Bing, Yahoo or Ask?  When I upgraded my Firefox, suddenly Yahoo just appeared as the go-to search engine, so I've been using that again. Yes, I am that lazy.


10 comments:

  1. I love Kinsey! I hope she continues, but I know that eventually all good things must come to an end :(
    Michigan is cool. I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used Yahoo as a search engine, I may have to venture away from Google and check it out, as well as the others mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sue Grafton's work. I too have wondered what happens when she gets to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely don't want to say to your boss, Did you say last year that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya about the pimples! Whatis up with that?

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Ugh! I'm always saying that about the pimples I get myself. Really? At my age? Especially since they are usually very big and like on my nose or somewhere conspicuous like that! and as it happens every month it also unintentionally announces to everyone else that it's that time! Double ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even realize Yahoo was a search engine. How numb of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a way to get rid of the Yahoo search. It's really crummy that FF does that.If you go to the search box on the menu bar, click on the arrow on the left. If that doesn't work there are other ways to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She will miss Kinsey. But, maybe Sue Grafton will start a numbered series. She could go to 10 to the 120th power then, eh?

    Yes, call Sheldon! Very smart answer to that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried using yahoo also, at one point it is my default search engine but I went back to google.

    visiting from Saturday 9: http://www.redismarose.com/2014/05/saturday-9-blues-in-the-night/

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.