Saturday, January 11, 2014

Here's what I learned this week

A Thali is a necklace, given from groom to bride in Indian marriage ceremonies, and worn like a wedding ring.

One of my coworkers, an amazingly adorable girl, got married last month in India and she showed me hers. She wears it on a cord with three knots -- one symbolizing her respect for the marriage, another for her parents, and one her allegiance to God. The Thali design is unique, like a coat of arms. If she has a son, my coworker and her husband will reproduce the pendant for her son to give his bride some day. (The pendant shown here is merely representative, not hers specifically.)

Because she and her husband live in Chicagoland, they both also wear rings. Hers is a tiny diamond chip, his is a simple band. At first he was resistant because he's not comfortable with jewelry, not even a watch. But she said she doesn't want other women looking at him like he's available. I think it's charming that she thinks he's so hot.

It's also important to note that of all of us, she complains the least of this week's record-setting cold. Growing up in a hot climate, she things -15ยบ is exotic and exciting.

I have enjoyed talking wedding with her. This is one of things that makes us lucky to be Americans -- all different cultures in this together, and the opportunity to learn about the rest of the world, all at the same time!


3 comments:

  1. Great story. The wonderful multi-culturism of New Mexico is one of the reasons I moved back here. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy Pueblo dances, and bond with an old Spanish couple who bring me traditional goodies at the nursing home I work at on Sunday. I love the symbolism of the knots in the cord that you spoke of. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:12 PM

    I love learning about different cultural, here its not very multi cultural which I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, how interesting! I bet her photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.