Sunday, September 09, 2012

Blessed and Healed

To most of the world, Eddie Vedder is the lead singer of Pearl Jam. To me, he's a fellow Cub fan. "Go All the Way" is his anthem, and these lyrics mean a great deal to me:

Don't let anyone say that it's just a game
For I've seen other teams and it's never the same
When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed
The first time you walk into Wrigley Field
Our heroes wear pinstripes
Heroes in blue
Give us the chance to feel like heroes too
Forever we'll win and if we should lose
We know someday we'll go all the way
Yeah
Someday we'll go all the way


I was thinking of this song as I sat there in my seat Friday night, waiting for my friends to arrive and the Boss to begin his show. I was so happy to be in Wrigley Field. It was such a balm to my soul. I have never had a bad time there. How could I while watching my heroes in blue … or sitting through the one Bear game I ever attended with my dad when I was a little girl … or seeing Sir Paul in concert almost exactly a year ago? It always feels like a privilege to be inside The Friendly Confines.

So imagine my surprise and delight when I saw Eddie Vedder get onstage, at Wrigley Field, to sing with Bruce! They performed "Atlantic City" together. I was happy for both Eddie the Rocker and Eddie the Cub fan.




1 comment:

  1. I always say Eddie is the good kind of dirty.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.