Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August Happiness Challenge -- Day 1


Today's happiness is: a good lunchtime. It's sunny and 88º today. Funny how cool and comfortable 88º can feel in this summer of 100º+ temps! So I tucked my paperback in my purse and headed out for a walk. The sidewalks were full and it was fun to look at my city through a tourist's eyes. One woman actually stopped in the middle of the crosswalk at Wabash and Madison to take a photo from under the el tracks. I guess the sight of trains rambling along a seemingly endless expanse of overhead tracks is pretty amazing. I'm just so used to it that I don't really see it anymore. 

Then I stopped at a little Italian restaurant I'd forgotten about. You have a place like this in your town, you know you do: pictures of Sinatra and local sports heroes, flat screen TVs on the walls. And a bar! (Don't tell anyone, but I had a beer.) I enjoyed my individual deep dish pizza and then walked back along Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park. I wish all summer could be this temperate, and all lunches could be this relaxing. 

Here's a brief explanation of the Challenge: "Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world."

If you play along, let me know.


Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. What a great start to the Happiness Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great happy day! It's nice to see your hometown through fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about adding Comment Moderation, folks. But look at the bright side, at least I've gotten rid of word verification!