Tuesday, April 24, 2012

But I don't wanna!

The rumors are true. I'm about to lose my office. We all are. In an effort to save money (squeezing 3 1/2 floors of employees into 3 floors of space) and to be cutting edge (open work areas are thought to be "edgy" and "buzzy" and "collaborative"), we're all going into cubes.

I alternate between thinking it's really not that big a deal, that I'm being childish, and being sad for my plant and how he'll suffer with a dearth of direct sun, and how I'll suffer my own lack of the privacy I need to write … and maybe this just may be another kick in the pants that encourages me to switch jobs.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I was going to rant about feeling pressured to move classrooms. I may still rant about it, but funny/odd how this is a big upcoming change for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that stinks. I have to admit, though, that I like being in a cube, assuming it's a nice cube. (I had a wonderful cube when I was at Borders - 6x8-ish, tall walls (so more private than some cubes), etc. At my new job, my cube is basically a big desk with a wall around it. Not even a good desk, because it's curved, so I basically have room for my chair. Ugh.

    Here's hoping you get a *good* cube! (And FYI, my plants absolutely thrive at work, even without any sunlight.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is often hard, isn't it? Especially when we don't have a choice about it. I'm with Andrea - here's hoping you get a good cube, that your plant will thrive and so will you!

    (and yeah, this could very well be a kick in the pants. Follow that thread and see where it takes you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would hate to leave a nice office...providing i had one. our office area is all open...i hate it at times!
    hope all goes well and your cube will give you the privacy you need.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about adding Comment Moderation, folks. But look at the bright side, at least I've gotten rid of word verification!