Friday, June 03, 2011

It's Graduation Day


It's hard to believe that the pre-schooler who used to insist we play act The Lion King by announcing, "You be Simba and I'll be Nala" is graduating from high school at 7:00 on Friday.

In fact, I'm not sure I do believe it.

She's been a distracted little bitch lately, but that's because she's so stressed. She wants out. She's mad at her mother, worried about money, and done/done/done (!) with this chapter of her life. I don't like it, but I understand it.

Still, that's why, though I admire the woman she's becoming, right now I really wish that instead of sitting in that hot auditorium watching the ceremony, she and I could just go off by ourselves, back to the park, where we could sit on the black top and pretend to be Simba and Nala, making our lunch out of the leaves and branches we find along the fence.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gal. Gosh, in much the way my words of remembrance of my Dad and Uncle touched you, your thoughts and emotions over your daughter's graduation touched mine. I can just feel your emotions you express them so well. My son graduated from High School last year. I can completely connect with the big mix of emotions you felt, and our kids' emotions too! I am so glad you shared this, thank you. Also, I wanted to touch on your Uncle. I know you miss him. Last August, it was a year my Uncle died. Daddy died all the way back in 1989. But, sometimes, I miss them as if it were yesterday. I am glad I've met you. Thank you. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the graduation ceremony is nice and not too hot! I just got a new sundress for our graduation (which is a week away).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.