Sunday, May 15, 2011

Monday Movie Meme

This week's movie topic is all about Farms...Share on your blog movies that are set on a farm, focus on farmers or reference farming in some way, linking back here to the Bumbles.

Gone with
the Wind. It was a farm that motivated one of cinema's most memorable heroines. Ashley Wilkes as played by Leslie Howard was a pallid, clueless twit, but at one point in the movie he did actually seem to understand something about Katie Scarlett O'Hara. He told her that there was something that she loved more than him, and he pressed the rich, red earth of Tara into her hand. And then there was the terrific moment when Scarlett hauls off and lets that whiny wench Suellen have it for saying she hates Tara. "That's like saying you hate Ma and Pa."

Bridges of Madison County. Francesca's life on an Iowa farm gets a lot more interesting when a photographer asks her for directions to that covered bridge.

A Thousand Acres. If life on the farm with Dad Jason Robards and daughters Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange and Jennifer Jason Leigh seems downright Shakespearean, that's because this heartland epic borrows liberally from King Lear. It's the most obscure movie on this week's list, but it's awesome. See it and it will really stay with you. It may not have many laughs, but instead it's got madness and betrayal and incest and cancer and storms ... both emotional and meteorological.

7 comments:

  1. Would you believe, I never saw "Gone with the Wind"! I know it's a classic and blah blah blah, lol. I like Michelle Pfeiffer and mayu have heard of A Thousand Acres. That is a movie that I would watch :)

    Farming....this one is a toughie. The Children of the Corn is the only movie on this list but Kingpin looks like it may be an entertaining rental to watch.

    I could only think of two and listed them in my Farming on Film post.



    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, I can't stand this technical stuff. Half of my comment was meant for another blog. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen A Thousand Acres, but I'm sad that I didn't include Gone with the Wind on my list! Great choice! And I've also seen Bridges. Didn't even think about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great list--especially Gone with the Wind. I would never have thought of it. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the book A Thousand Acres but haven't seen the movie.

    I had a hard time coming up with original films, most of what I thought of was already mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read A Thousand Acres but never saw the movie. And apparently I don't remember the plot very well because your description sounds completely foreign to anything I may have read - time for a re-read or a watch!

    Oh, and GWTW? Duh. Dumb Bumble for not thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:23 PM

    I forgto all about Bridges. GWTW almost made my list too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.