Saturday, December 25, 2010

Holidailies -- Day 25

My new favorite Christmas carol. Last night, during the candlelight service, we sang "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," and though I have probably heard and sung this a thousand times over the years, last night it really touched me.

Peace on earth and mercy mild; God and sinner, reconciled

This has been my first Christmas without my uncle. Because of the toll his illness took, our last meaningful contact was a phone call last Christmas Eve.

Being in church, singing those words, helped heal my heart. For there would never be any peace on earth for my uncle, not any more. Ending his life was one of God's mercies, and now He and my uncle are "reconciled" -- together in peace, now and for all eternity.

This was undoubtedly the Merriest Christmas my uncle has had in years.

I miss him still, of course, but I'm very glad he's at peace and at rest.

1 comment:

  1. It's lovely how the gift of music soothed your soul. That's one thing I love about listening to as much Christmas music as I do--sometimes an old familiar becomes significant for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.